Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Another Baseball Star Confesses

David Segui who is a retired first baseman admitted Monday that he used steroids and purchased shipments from a former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski. Segui used human growth hormones with a prescription. He told the newspaper that he refused to talk to former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, whose performance-enhancing drugs report is expected Thursday. Segui said he didn't want to betray the trust of other players.

In a quote from an article on espn.com, "I have nothing to hide. I have no problem talking about what I have done," said Segui. "But I never want any other players to think I was out there talking about their business. Because I do know a lot, but people have told me things in confidence and I don't want to be spreading that." Segui spent eight of the 15 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles.

Segui met Radomski after the Mets traded for the exceptional first baseman in 1994. They became close and are still phone buddies. They talk several times a week about fishing and about their families. At first, Radomski helped Segui with weightlifting and nutrition. Eventually, Segui started to pay for different products like legal supplements, workout gear, steroids and clenbuterol, and an asthma drug that is supposed to melt body fat and is banned from baseball.

No comments: