Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Going Out On Top

After left-hooking Ricky Hatton back to the U.K., I feel it is time for Mayweather to hang up the gloves. Leave the game as one of the best pound for pound boxers ever seen. I feel he has nothing left to prove. But that won't happen because in this era of professional sports no one can walk away at the perfect time. I think the reason that they never do is because the true susperstars always feel that they have something else left in the tank.

At 39-0, Floyd Mayweather has the chance to be remembered as one of the undisputed pound-for-pound best ever in his sport. And he did say after the fight, "I've done all I could do in this sport, so I'm not thinking about fighting anybody else. I've accomplished my last goal" and promises that "I will never let boxing retire me,"(taken from an article on espn.com). The money, pride and ego of Mayweather will probably cause Mayweather not to retire right away. He should not turn his career into a replica of Michael Jordan or even Julio Franco. Go out as a champion very few still do these days.

No comments: